Call for Visualizations
The Association of Public Data Users (APDU) is pleased to announce our inaugural Data Viz Awards with an open “Call for Visualizations,” soliciting creative and meaningful visuals that use publicly-available data (e.g. Census, Bureau of Labor Statistics) to convey a compelling point. Visuals may have appeared in a published research paper or article, in a public presentation, as a stand-alone infographic, as a website feature, and/or as another official product.
Submissions must have been published between June 2015 and May 2016. Winners will be invited to present at the Association of Public Data Users’ 2016 Annual Conference on September 14, 2016 in Alexandria, VA. Winners in the “Researchers & Students” category will also receive a free APDU membership for 2017.
About the Award
Mission: To engage more users to understand and share data for analysis and decision making by recognizing eye-catching and easy-to-comprehend images incorporating publicly-available data.
APDU will select data scientists who are presenting public information through creative and compelling images, in three categories:
1. Public agencies, which can include state, federal, or independent public entities;
2. Private firms, which can include consultancies, advocacy groups, or any other private firms using public data; and
3. Researchers & Students, which can include any visuals published or formally presented by researchers or students.
Submissions should include the following information:
• Title of the Visual
• Category for Submission
• Author/Designer(s) and Affiliation(s)
• Proposed Presenter
• Biosketch of Presenter: 100 words or less
• Data Source Description: No more than 200 words on the publicly-available data source used, including if/how it was altered or how it may have been combined with other information
• Visualization Platform or Tool
• Visualization Rationale: No more than 300 words on the research question the visualization informs, why this type of visual was chosen, and how the visual was made.
• Visualization (Can be provided as an attachment or web address)
All submissions should be sent to Brendan Buff at email@example.com by Monday, August 1st.